secret pal 9 questionnaire!
since i can't sleep...here we go!
1. what is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? what fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
i like wools, especially "different" ones (think: colinette) and handpainted yarn as well. i don't really like acrylics and "novelty" yarn such as eyelash or fun fur -that type of thing.
2. what do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
i'm using this bucket from garrett's popcorn. i'd love to be more organized and sew up a knitting needle organizer of some sort (so i can actually *find* my needles when i need them!), it's just that i have *so many* needles that i'd have to make an organizer for every kind (ie. shorts, longs, bamboo, birch, bryspun, etc.)
3. how long have you been knitting & how did you learn? would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
i've been knitting for a few years (maybe three?) now. my mom had orignally shown me how to cast on and knit, however, by the time i actually *did* these things, i had totally forgotten. so, i bought one of those long, chunky scarf kits with my 40% coupon at michael's, and taught myself from there. i would consider my level to be intermediate.
4. do you have an amazon or other online wish list?
yes, i do.
5. what's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
i'm super-sensitive to all body products that are scented, but i absolutely *love* bath and body work's 'sweet vanilla sugar' scent for candles and home fragrancing oils. i also love 'birthday cake' fragrance as well!
6. do you have a sweet tooth? favorite candy?
oh my gosh, yes! i absolutely *love* those brach's caramels from the bulk bins. they're the best! ooh! and i love cupcakes, too!
7. what other crafts or do-it-yourself things do you like to do? do you spin?
sewing. i just upgraded my singer (that i just bought) to a viking. i'm not that *serious*, but i guess i am a bit ambitious.
8. what kind of music do you like? can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a cd)
i *love* soundtracks (grey's antatomy - the best music *ever*!), musicals, and i guess what they'd consider to be "pop" or "top 40" as well.
9. what's your favorite color(s)? any colors you just can't stand?
i absolutely *lurve* pink, or a pink/brown combination, or a blue/brown combination... i also love the "fall" palette when it comes to handpainted yarns, and i absolutely adore the color silver sage, especially when it's combined with a khaki or taupe color (like my tiles!)
10. what is your family situation? do you have any pets?
my two cats, madeline & griffin, allow me to live with them. (sometimes.)
11. do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
i definitely wear hats, scarves and mittens. not too much into the poncho thing, though...
12. what is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
probably hats and scarves. they're so quick to knit up.
13. what are you knitting right now?
i'm currently *obsessed* with cabled hats, so, i have two on the needles currently, and i'm sure i'll have more very soon. (i've made two so far in the past month or so.) i'm also knitting this scarf from french girl, which i've been knitting *forever*. (i started last thanskgiving, ripped it back, and, am in the middle of it again just now.)
14. do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. do you prefer straight or circular needles? bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
i usually knit on shorter (10") needles if my project allows it; and i absolutely *love* brittany birch needles. i also like bamboo, and am really liking bryspun for my lace-y projects. i *love* addi turbos for circulars.
16. do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
yes, both. bring on the yarn in skeins, baby!
17. how old is your oldest ufo?
so old, that i can hardly remember. i don't think i ever finished my *first* project (after the scarf-from-a-kit) when i first started knitting, of a hat/scarf/mitten set in a super bulky weight yarn.
18. what is your favorite holiday?
19. is there anything that you collect?
does yarn count? :) i have amassed a small collection of maneki-nekos, and really, that's almost all that i collect (although my house is just *filled* with stuff...)
20. any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? what knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
i'm always dying to get my hands on something new; i just saw colinette's 'skye' in the 'dark umber' colorway at this yarn shop (it was part of a kit), but, it's absolutely, absolutely gorgeous. i would also love some 'lobster pot' yarn, in their slightly variegated pink color, although i can't seem to find the non-cashmere version anywhere. also, i'd love to have this cabled beanie knitting kit. i currently do not have any knitting magazine subscriptions; i usually just buy them if there are enough patterns inside that strike my fancy!
21. are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
i'd really love how to knit continental-style. it'd make my ribbing on all of my hats go so much more quickly!
22. are you a sock knitter? what are your foot measurements?
no, i'm not a sock knitter. small needles scare me. (i'm doing a hat on a #6 right now, and it's taking me *forever*.) that, and the fact that i lose all my socks. but i do wear a size 8 shoe, though!
23. when is your birthday? (mm/dd)
october 23! right after all this fun begins! yay!