Monday, July 24, 2006

so i joined this monthly dishcloth knit-a-long group because, even though there are a plethora of dishcloth patterns out there, I keep on knitting "c" initial dishcloths as well as my commuting-friendly "grandma's favorite dishcloth". (commuter-friendly meaning that it's a very simple pattern that is easy to keep track of.) so anyways. i just thought i'd check it out.

so, what happens is, on the 1st and 16th day of the month, the group moderator sends like seven or eight lines of the pattern, and, the following day, the next eight lines, and so on. i joined right when they were starting the mid-month knit-a-long on the 16th, and, quickly knitted up my first eight rows or so. but me, with my knitting obsession, and not being able to just stop a project when it's not the middle of the night, found myself thinking, "i need the next few rows!" turned out i made a mistake, and, ended up having to rip the thing back anyways, and then re-knit again, and ended up being a few days behind in the end. the mid-month dishcloths are usually more involved stitches; stitches that people probably wouldn't just try out on their own, so, in that aspect, it's very cool. i'm trying out this new stitch pattern, and i'm not using expensive yarn, so, i don't feel bad when there's a few minor mistakes. my completed project ended up being this cabley-looking/holey (yarn-over) dishcloth, which i will take a photo of as soon as i charge my camera's battery. i think it's actually very cool-looking.

so this past friday, i had to go back to my dentist's office, because despite having a few cavities filled two weeks prior, i was still in pain. and the weird thing was, was that the pain was increasing - it definitely got worse during that second week. anyways, after getting stuck in *major* traffic and him just recommending for me to go and have a consult with an endodontist (great!) i needed some much-needed shopping therapy. i ended up at closeknit in evanston, and, although i didn't buy anything really fancy this time around, geez - their inventory has increased tenfold since when i used to live around those parts. i ended up buying some malabrigo yarn in this beautiful salmon color, some plymouth encore for my green/white/orange st. patty's day scarves (yes, already!) some much-needed point protectors and a few yards of this gorgeous kaffe fasset lotus print fabric. (again, photos forthcoming.)

so, after my little excursion to my not-so-lys, and discovering that i hadn't taken my credit card along with me, i decided that i'd still go up to old orchard to buy some wedding presents for the two weddings i will be attending in august. (still a few weeks away, but still. i might as well!) *bad* decision. it ended up being this entire afternoon/eveing ordeal - and let me tell you - i was *totally* cranky by the end of it all. i ended up purchasing my favorite standby, a vera wang 'classic' vase for one couple (my coworker), and ended up buying a few things at field's for the other couple (one of whom i went to high school with), but ended up at target later that night, checking out whatever else they had on their registry. (target = bad idea. now i have all these miscellaneous boxes to wrap for them, and, well, i have no idea what i'm going to do. (and did i mention that i went to *three* different stores looking for gift wrap? i'm going to the container store to see if i see any wrap that strikes my fancy.

*but*, what i am *very* excited for is, is that i was able to get a copy of the marshall field's cookboook! i went to the state st. store last week, and, they were out. but old orchard had boatloads! yay! (now i can try to re-create my favorite oriental chicken pasta salad that they sell in the marketplace!) yay!

saturday, my boyfriend and i went to this surprise birthday party for one of his friend's best friend. (did that make sense?) it was a pretty good time, although smoky as anything in there (at the pool hall). oh well.

sunday, i spent procrastinating about cleaning, as usual, but managed to block my mid-month dishcloth. so now, considering that i did almost *nothing* yesterday, let me get at least a *little* done before i go into work today...

No comments: