Tuesday, January 31, 2006

i am shellfish.

(translation: i am selfish)

so. i've been scrambling to get enough hours for the past few weeks, due to the fact that my manager is completely unfair, and my shifts get cut. not only am i working weird shifts, i am working weird, middle-of-the-day (read: wednesday 1-6 pm) shifts. anyhow. considering the situation, i figured that the easiest way to pick up a random day or two was to e-mail the 'training coordinator' both for my district and the one adjoining.

i get a phone call and e-mail today from the other training coordinator, saying that she had found a permanent sunday shift that i could pick up, starting this sunday. i didn't know what to do. thankfully, though, the calls just went to my voicemail, because i was at work.

as my sister put it: 'you worked sundays for how long... (2+ years)' and before that, i worked saturdays (1+ years). now, i'm off both saturday and sunday, and i'm actually *considering* working sundays again? what she said made sense. duh.

now, i don't mind an occassional sunday, every now and then. but to commit to one single location? every week, for weeks on end? *that* scares me. so what did i do? i totally )*$$!##-out and e-mailed her, [almost] verbatim:

***

Hi M______!

I apologize that I wasn’t able to answer your phone calls this morning; I was at work! I really appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.

Unfortunately, as it turns out, I won’t be able to accept your offer for the Sundays at ______ and ______. I’m really sorry about that. In the past few days, I’ve actually found that it may just be easier for me to take on a few random days at different, random locations (covering sick calls, vacations, etc.) to make up the hours I need (for insurance) on a week-to-week basis rather than commit to one particular location.

Again, I apologize that this just didn’t work out, but please keep me in mind should you need any “leftover” single shifts covered. I know that the managers generally put out e-mails, but I also know that you’re the first person they turn to and ask for help when they really start scrambling for coverage (ie. 8:15 am sick call for an 8:00 shift). I’d be more than happy to help you out! Please let me know! Thanks again for everything.

Christina

***

yes, it's lame. but i also am very selfish! i can't imagine *not* having my weekends open anymore, you know? i mean, once in awhile, it's okay. but permanently? yikes! just call me a commitment-phobe. (i just hope she doesn't take it badly and not help me out in the future!)

No comments: